Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Stop Shoulding On Yourself

Yeah... I know. It's a feasible yet controversial statement. A statement about the well intentioned dragons that get caught up in the "conceptual" stages about what "should" be done. We've all witnessed those who have a firm grasp on what the problem is and, even more, what should be done about it. However, though they've put their minds and mouths in motion, they never make it into material movement and manifestation.

"We SHOULD take ministry beyond the walls of the church." "We SHOULD be more supportive of the pastor, his vision, and his leadership." Or, "what the pastor should have done is this and that." "Back in the day, when we had the previous opportunity, we SHOULD not have proceeded at the time." You see what I mean? A people and place that simply SHOULDS all over itself.

The bible says, "I must work the work of Him that has sent me while it is day, for night comes when no man can work." (John 9:4) It would seem as if we are repeatedly, in the word of God, admonished to DO in action rather than in concept. It's not enough to say "I should have given food to the hungry" or "we should have an agency to help abused women and children."

I am challenged and convicted to rid myself of the "should" that surrounds me and engage in ministry in an even greater way.

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

WOW!!! Excellent post Pastor Kevin! We all need to get over the shoulds and get to the engaging. You seem to be back to your blogging grove.

Lance

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Vietta P's two cents worth said...

What are regrets? I would venture to say they are neglected "shoulds" that have come to pass. It makes me feel really bad when I take inventory of my many regrets. I have so many "shoulds" that presently surround me, that I know will one day become listed among those I consider REAL and tragic regrets. WOW! We shouldn't allow the "shoulds" to mount up. For certainly, by doing so, and by constant missed "should" opportunities, we just might miss our deliberate calling. Thank you Pastor Kevin for this insightful and challenging post. I love you.

Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home