Wednesday, March 04, 2009

You Are A Preacher!!!

Today I am gleaning and gathering nuggets from a little book by W.W. Melton entitled "The Making Of A Preacher." It is a book that my father twice (in flesh and ministry) Pastor William L. Pullam made me aware of many years ago. It is NO LONGER in print, and he only had one copy which his father Deacon Lloyd A. Pullam gave to him early in his ministry. Recently he, my father, found a copy that was up for bid and consequently he won the bid for it. (amount undisclosed) On this past Sunday, when preaching at his fine church, he presented it to ME... Wow!!! ME??? To say that least, I am humbled and honored that he would think enough of me to give me a copy. I was sitting on the porch glued to this book and it seemed like, with every point, I was challenged, changed, and re-charged about my call into gospel preaching ministry. I thank my heavenly father above for such great insight and moving my earthly father to share.

Here's an excerpt from Chapter 1 "You Have Decided To Be A Preacher" :

"You are a preacher. What is your attitude toward sin? There are those who try to make a joke of sin. Are you among them? One's attitude toward sin will be the measure of his attitude toward Christ the Saviour. It will be the standard by which his attitude toward repentance, faith, regeneration, and redemption are measured. Any man who regards sin as a harmless defect in life, but nothing more serious, will think of Christ as a good but unnecessary person- and I spell the word with a small "p." Whoever makes a joke of hell must, out of necessity, make a joke of heaven. The man who would take the fire out of hell would also take the glory out of heaven. He that belittles sin will also belittle repentance. The man who denies the doctrine of atonement through the blood of Jesus has no Gospel to preach. A preacher who denies these great fundamental truths is a traitor if he stands in the pulpit and repudiates the things for which he claims to be called of God to proclaim, and for which he is paid by the church to proclaim."

There is SO much more but I understand how LONG posts usually don't gain much audience.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Pastor Kevin L. Pullam

10 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Kevin, all I got to say about this is that when your New Jersey brother gets to Corpus Christi next month, I need to just hold that book for the two days I am there because I know that there is power in those words. Pops really looked out for you!!!

Lance

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Vietta P's two cents worth said...

WOW! I have always heard how awesome that book was by your Dad. I had the opportunity to hold it in my hands a few times when it wasn't tightly locked and "guarded" in the safe. I only flipped through it's pages without taking in any of it's contents. Words from the first chapter captures the essence of a compelling challenge of a life long committment, and what it means to carry the gospel of Jesus Christ. I can already tell by what you have shared with us within it's first few pages, that this is going to be one of your most treasured writtings among your collection.

I was touched as well when your father expressed his pride and love in such a unique and profound way, with his cherished son both in ministry, and above all his "first born" in the flesh. Enjoy! I love you.

Mom

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. I am totally happy and thankful to God that you love and appreciate the book in this way. Again, it has been one of my most treasured possessions. Out of all of the thousands of books that I have been blessed to have in my libray it is a jewel indeed and a pearl of great price.
It challenged, inspired and revived me upon my first reading (I couldn't put it down) and it has served that same purpose for me over and over and over again throughout the years and continues to do so even now. I thank God for my wise and Godly father who shared it with me. Truly God is good!
God bless you son and I pray that you will continue to be blessed by this "little book." By the way, a great post.
Your father twice

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

I too would love to get my hands on a book of this nature. Thanks for sharing a snippet of it. Great post!!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Looking for you on facebook. Kraig haunted me about setting it up for myself for months but haven't heard from him yet. Check me out on my new facebook page. Love you.

Mom

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Keith D. Witherspoon said...

All I'm gonna say is please post more of this!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

All I can do is echo the sentiments of Lance and Momma! You are a powerful, gifted preaching with great pastoral genius and preaching prowess. To God be the glory for the things He continues to do and perform in your life and ministry.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Life More Abundantly said...

Well spoken and written, may God bless!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Doug said...

Pastor Pullam - So enjoyed the ordination service last night. It was a privilege to serve with you. Seeing you again reminded me that I still need one more chapel speaker for our fall semester and I would be thrilled to have you here. The date is October 8. Is that a possibility?

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Doug said...

Pastor Pullam - So enjoyed the ordination service last night. It was a privilege to serve with you. Seeing you again reminded me that I still need one more chapel speaker for our fall semester and I would be thrilled to have you here. The date is October 8. Is that a possibility?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home