Saturday, June 10, 2006

All About the Children

God has blessed me with a unique concern for youth ministry. I believe this has been one of the "labels" thoroughly associated with me. Most times when you hear the name of Kevin L. Pullam people think "a relatively young man with a youth centered approach." I have always thought this to be a discredit to me given the fact that my study has always been of such that I try my best to be loaded with word and witness. Loaded in such a way that it carries a universal relevance and effectiveness. I do have a tendency to use a contemporary application process. I have concluded that this is not a bad "stigma" to have. Children and Youth are actually an exquisite breed. If you can connect with a young person, in church, you have done a wonderful thing. Youth usually don't take well to empty cliche's and ritualistic religious polity. They can see straight through the persons that are, as the Apostle John would say, "lying and do not the truth." So, I have begun to wear my "scarlet letter" as a badge of honor. Sure, references to rap songs and pop culture can get you in trouble with the "holy high rollers" but I believe any honest and successful attempt to reach the young people for Christ is pleasing to God. With that said, I am honored to be the Director of our District Association's Youth Convention. Today will mark it's 45th Annual session. Myself and Friendship will be the host of this convention today and I am now up getting as many last minute details in order as is possible. There will be class sessions and a noon sermon this morning. On this afternoon there will be additional activities to include the "Bible Activities Competition." This is a time where children of various age groups compete in Bible Story Telling, Bible Memory Work, Bible Sword Drill, Extemporaneous Speaking and Praise Dance. I am really excited about this ministry and look forward to a productive day. Then on tomorrow I am to be the guest preacher at my home church and Pastor's Annual Youth Day. So, this week has been a youth centered one. My prayer is that God will give me a supernatural portion of His spirit and power. I also pray for the continued gift of depth and relevancy. I never want to be so shallow that I preach beneath my ability and down to people. However, I don't want to be so technical that I miss everyone. Lord, give me the insight to diligently discern the right "dose of doctrine" and rightfully divide in the service of YOUR people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home