Sunday, August 03, 2008

Can't We all Just Get Along???

On last night (Saturday) I attended a musical. I must admit, right off the cuff, that this is an unusual practice for me. I don't like to get involved in the routine of attending Saturday night events for sake of the Sunday morning preaching experience. However my Uncle's, Pastor Lloyd Pullam, church was on program there from Denton Texas which is about a 7 hour drive away from Corpus Christi. I figured, "if they could drive that far and then be on program again in the morning, I certainly could drive across town."

Anyway... I received an announcement flyer, after the musical, announcing a "Youth Gospel Explosion." I noticed that the date, August 15th and 16th, was the same dates as an Annual "Youth Explosion" of another church in the city. (same time as well) Being that I was privileged to know the origin and organization of the two events in great detail, I realized and deduced that the flyer I received last night was an effort that was conceived and organized all in the last two weeks. Pointedly an effort that was organized with full knowledge of the other "Explosion." I thought to myself "what a grave disregard, and spirit of non-community." I was personally troubled by the fact that the organizers of the event are flagrantly erecting an event in direct competition and challenge to the other congregation.

Now... I know it could be argued that "it shouldn't be a problem." However, I do believe the context of Corpus Christi's demographic constitutes a greater concern than, for example, nearby cities like Houston and Dallas. Corpus Christi has an estimated population of about 286,000 people. 87,000 of these are age 19 and under. (the "target age of these "explosions") Then, you add to that the fact that only 4.7% of our population is African American. (I know, in principle we are striving to be a mixed-culture church...But, you would see my point that this is the predominant representation) So, that leaves a number of about 4090 African Americans youths in the city, TOTAL. Then, you consider that it is said that about 61% of Americans report to be "regular" church attenders. So, there remains the TOTAL BEST CASE expectation of 2495 youth. History would reflect that the realistic yield of youth at such an event, in our city, is about 100 or so youth. My point is... CORPUS CHRISTI IS TO SMALL for us to be in Cutthroat Competition with each other. Especially when we organize events that are designed to include and invite people from accross the city and from other churches. We are are charged by God to be a community that works together in unity. I really do wish that we could grasp the concept of supporting one another, rather than trying to undercut.

Well... Now that I have written it, I guess it's amounts to a "personal" preference and opinion. Rodney King said it best though... "Can't we all just get along?"

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Pastor Kevin,

It will take some time for us to realize that we are not competitors but companions in ministry. I am encouraged however with your passion , unity can be more of a reality in your community. Thank you for being a friend and brother.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This report saddens me very much. Since I am of the city, I know this is going to be a burden of satisfactory attendance and participation. This has become a problem of significance only in the last five years or so. I like you wonder why we can't work together and do full circle ministry throughout this community.
It seems as though those who don't consider community planning believes it is about them and their program only. You are the voice of welcomed hope for the future of our religious community when others capture your ideas of working together. I pray that those who need to read this post does so. I also pray for the REAL Youth Explosion event. May the other one gain the experience to know why we must plan wisely. Thank you for your insight.

vlpSongbird

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Pastor, you hit the "nail on the head". We are Accomplices and not Adversaries!! We always can do more together than we can apart!! God Bless you for your commitment to bring the Body of Christ together!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home