Friday, August 01, 2008

"ROOM" Reservations...

Today my heart has been gladdened and encouraged. On yesterday I learned that a great man of God has received a call to, what would seem to be, a great ministry opportunity. Of course, much of my joy comes from the fact that he (this Pastor) has proven to be a diligent bible student, fervent and fiery preacher, and great friend to preachers. However, the reason I am encouraged enough to make my post about it today is because I gleaned a personal confirmation for my life and ministry through this great "move of God" in the life of my Pastor friend.

It is often quite easy, in ministry, to feel as if "it is what it is." (to use contemporary vernacular) I have often felt as if there are certain "iconic" values to Preaching and Pastoring in which, if you don't match or model your ministry to those protocols there is no hope for upward mobility. Today that mold, for me, was shattered, and rejoicingly so...

I listened to the sermons (all 4 of them) that were preached by this Pastor/Preacher when being considered as the next leader of this flock. It was quite refreshing to be affirmed that theatrics, "tuning it up", "dumping that house", was not necessary for the Lord to move on the hearts of this parish of people. Biblically sound expository preaching is what he did.

Thank you Jesus... He didn't have to "slay'em". (though he rightfully could've)... He didn't have to have the formal degree (though he certainly knows more than the average scholar... It was this pastor who shared the words with me "it's not a sin if you don't have a degree, it's a sin to be uneducated.")

Bottom line, he simply had to be faithful to "study to show himself approved." He had to ascertain the task to "stir up the gift" which was within him. He only had to do what God had called him to do and "do it heartily." He was "faithful over a few things." That is a blessing to my heart in times much like these when I struggle with what God is doing in my ministry. I struggle with thoughts of being so "atypical" to the desired "attributes" of the sought after preachers. My father twice was right when always using the quote, "whatever you do son, preach a little." My charge and task is to use the gifts God has given ME. I have to pastor the people God has entrusted to ME. I can only "do ME."

So... Thanks Pastor (You Know Who Your Are) for allowing God to use you through the years. Today you are God's exhibit to me in the "case" he has constantly been presenting to my soul. The gavel drops, case closed... He can do WHATEVER He wants to do, He's Sovereign. I have to stop allowing other preachers, pastors, people, parishioners illuminate signs for me that say "NO VACANCIES." "A man's gift makes ROOM for him, and brings him before great men." Wow... That is my "ROOM Reservation." Confirmation number Prov.18:16. GOD BE PRAISED!!!

3 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Pastor Kevin,

This pastor is very fortunate to call you friend. I'm encouraged to see you celebrate his success. God bless you brother.

 
At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy to see you back. I look forward to catching up and maybe commenting on some of the past blogs after reading them. Hope to see more in the future as well. Love you.

vlpSongbird

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

I really enjoyed this post above all. I completely agree with your assesments in the entire matter. We may always feel so inadequate and not 'up to par' with the rest of our preaching colleagues. In who you are referring to - I have sensed the same source of encouragement, and knowing that being faithful to the sure, consistent preaching of God's Word, is what God desires and rewards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home