Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Close to the Hill

Today is my birthday. Man, it seems like just a few years ago I was 18 years old and on my way to the U.S. Air Force. Now, here we are 17 years later. To think that I would've been able to retire just three years from now is food for thought to those younger people that are considering a Military career. Where else can you receive a full retirement at age 38 years old?

I realize that, if the Lord says the same, I most likely have quite a few years ahead of me. However, there was a degree of reflection on this particular birthday that I had not experienced before. Until now, I was always adolescently happy to be getting OLDER. Much to my surprise, this was not the case this year. There was a small remnant of solitude and permanence that set in this year. My spiritual, educational and financial goals seem to have a greater urgency now than ever before.

It's amazing that many people spend the majority of their lives seeking those things that will ultimately fall and fail. I am glad that God has given me a greater perspective for the things that really matter in life.

Last night.... Man, it was just wonderful. My wife, Sis. LaTonya Pullam, organized a "surprise" birthday dinner. It was simply beautiful. They used the fellowship hall at my home church, St. John First Baptist Church. www.sjfbc.org They left no stone unturned as relates to the food, decorations and presents. I was, and am, totally amazed and appreciative of all the members that made this birthday one that I will never forget.

I must rush to say this: As a pastor, there is always a bitter/sweet reflection with each expression of love the congregation employs. I am always led to reflect and rejoice about all the wonderful things that God has done. There are some relationships that He has brought together that are nothing less than edifying. However, it is during these times that I as Pastor am reminded of the other aspect of this ecclesiastical pursuit. In an attempt to be effective and affectionate in ministry, I make it a point to be as loving, giving and Christian as I can. I am never satisfied until I have given my all to my congregation in ministry.

I believe God allows moments of encouragement in our lives, much like the one I had last night. It allows you the opportunity to observe those who really appreciate and love you for what you do. However, it also affords the discernment to learn who's just giving "lip service." There are still a great deal of people in the congregation that "talk the talk" but.... well, you know.

But, I'm not concerned with that crowd. God has given us more than enough with the faithful few that have a heart for the pastor, people and purpose of church God has given us stewardship of. Those few make this charge and calling a little easier and much more palatable.

Don't worry, I don't feel old y'all....

Charles R. Swindoll gives his "Five Tips for staying young":

1. Your mind is not old, keep developing it.
2. Your humor is not over, keep enjoying it.
3. Your strength is not gone, keep using it.
4. Your opportunity have not vanished, keep pursuing them.
5. God is not dead, keep seeking Him.

LaTonya, thank you baby for allowing God to use your heart to do something so timely and appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home